Constructed in 1909-1910 as the Texas headquarters of Arthur Stilwell's Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad, the San Angelo depot was a major landmark on the local landscape, as it was the largest building in town when built. When completed, the KCM&O Railroad would have provided an economical transportation route connecting America's heartland with the lucrative markets of the Orient via a direct rail line from Kansas City through Texas to the Mexican port of Topolobampo, and San Angelo would be a major site along the line.
Financial instability in the US and political instability in Mexico prevented Stilwell from realizing his dream during his lifetime, but the Depot lived on. The KCM&O line was subsequently bought by the Santa Fe Railroad and served San Angelo until the 1980's. Local citizens banded together in the late 1980's to save the Depot from the wrecking ball and worked to restore the building to its original stately presence. Today, the depot houses the Railway Museum of San Angelo and there are railroad artifacts and exhibits, historical documents and photographs, static displays of railcars on the outside and operating model train layouts on the inside.
A visit to the Railway Museum is fun and educational for the entire family.
To become a member of the Railway Museum, click this button:
WHAT WE DO
To gather, preserve, and display artifacts, documents, letters, and equipment related to the history of the railroad.
WHERE WE ARE LOCATED
The museum is located in the cultural district, which is the largest in Texas with 200 acres. It includes Historic Fort Concho National Landmark and the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts.